Pain d'épices / French spice cake
A classic specialty from the Alsace region, the pain dépices is a spiced cake sweetened with honey. This is a typical winter cake close to his german cousin the Lebkuchen.We usually like it in the afternoon break with tea or a hot beverage. Some like it as toasted bread to serve some foie gras with a salad for example.
- 300 g wheat flour
- 100 g rye flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spice mix 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon,1 teaspoon ground ginger,¼ teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg,¼ teaspoon ground cloves,½ teaspoon anise seeds and whole
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g butter
- 1 glas milk
- apricot jam optional
- Gather the ingredients.
- Prepare your spice mix. the measurements of every spice depends from recipe to recipe. it is close to a ginger bread spice mix.
- Mix the flours, spices, salt and baking soda together.
- then warm up the milk and add the butter to melt down down. Then add the honey. Let it cool down.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and then add the egg yolks until combine.
- Let it rest for 4 hours. It will let the baking soda develop and the batter will become darker.Preheat the oven at 375 °F or Gas mark 5 (170°C )
- Layer your mold with butter and flour, then you can fill it up with the batter.Add a layer of brown sugar on top.Bake for about 30 min.
- When it is baked and still warm you can layer some apricot jam as a glase.
Calories: 246kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 7gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 722mgPotassium: 145mgFiber: 3gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 182IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!